Today was my Grandpa Weisenburger's funeral. He died last Saturday October 6, 2012. When I got the phone call that he passed, I guess I was a little surprised. I had seen him earlier this summer for the family reunion in Idaho and he seemed to be pretty spry. Although, I know he has wanted to get back up there with my Grandma ever since she passed away 5 years ago.
I was the first Grandchild to my Grandpa... As the story goes, he wasn't very excited about being called 'Grandpa', so he would say things like.. "Come to Cecil" instead of "Come to Grandpa".. I guess this went on for a little while, and then when he thought no one was looking, he came to get me out of my crib and said, "Come to Grandpa"...My Mom was just around the corner and heard the whole thing... so from then on out he was 'Grandpa'.
My Grandpa loved candy, farming and old cars. Growing up he had an entire warehouse full of old cars that he had restored. Me, Leslie and my cousin Mindy use to play in them (without Grandpa knowing, of course) and pretended that we were driving around in the "olden days". My Grandpa loved his old cars so much that he put one on his headstone.. his favorite car that he had restored. His headstone read "Cecil and JoAnn cruising through eternity."
My Grandpa was definitely a one of a kind. I'm glad he is now back in Heaven where he wants to be, with my Grandma.
After the funeral we all went back to my Grandparents house. It was kind of weird without either of them there. I wanted to take it all in because I think that will be the last time I see that house. They are planning on selling it along with his old cars and his shop.
This picture will always be the picture in my head of how I will remember my Grandpa... Giving me 'one for the money' every time I came for a visit. Here's to you Grandpa... I hope you are with Grandma, and I hope they have licorice and SkipBo in Heaven. XOXO





That was beautiful Whit
ReplyDelete